Tuesday 17 January 2012

My Dance-Fit Workout -then off to pack



My absolute all-time favorite fitness activity is dance. I head down to the gym, warm up to some slow and sultry tune, follow it with a rumba and then a cha cha cha to loosen up the hips and knees, and then  I move to jive at increasing bpms, thrown in some samba, quickstep, Viennese waltz and more chacha.  Then I get more serious and alternate waltz, slow foxtrot and tango with the Latin dances like a sort of interval heart training session.  


A short hustle to entrench the "and-one, two, three" beat in my brain, a West Coast swing song to get me moving forward on the first steps instead of rocking back, a bolero to get that stretch throughout the body, and a cool-down... and I am done. The music drives any vexing thoughts from  my  mind, and endorphins keep me smiling the rest of the day.  A mere 45 minutes and I am a happy happy camper, ready for anything the day will throw at me. Dance is good for the brain because you are learning new ways to use your muscles, it's a universal form of expression in most societies, and it's fun! It is also a great social activity.
The picture is of me in a dance studio, four months after major back surgery. Dance was one of my most important forms of rehab activity.

My theory is that if we teach the world to dance, everyone would be mellow. Just think about how grim the societies are where music and dance is forbidden.So instead of those awful phys-ed classes that people try to get out of,  teaching dances from early on would help with socializing as well as keep the kids in shape, without destroying knees and hips like running does. Did anyone see "Mad Hot Ballroom?" And that reminds me. It' s off to New York for me. Better go pack.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.